Oh hi. It's me. "Miss I Don't Stick To Anything I Start." Well maybe that's a bit harsh. My problem is I start something, veer off track a bit and then eventually find my way back to what I started. Again...consistency isn't my strong point. I guess a better way to look at it may be that at least I make my way back to what I started right? Maybe I'm not a quitter after all! I don't know about you other moms out there but Spring Break threw me off track a bit. My husband was gone the entire week of spring break. 8 days to be exact. He went here:
Home to Mr. President Obama. Should he be there? I'm not going to answer that question. This blog isn't about politics.
The kids and I tried to make the best of our time without dad. Bugs is 100% daddy's girl and had a few melt downs throughout the week. One night she even slept in her dad's sweatshirt. She's too cute! The minute we sent her dad off at the airport she broke down in tears and was bawling her little eyes out. I said, "You don't cry like this when I leave." To which she said through her tears, "But dad is just my best dad." And I'm chop liver I suppose. No really. I love the relationship she has with her dad. It's very sweet! Plus I have a little boy who thinks I'm pretty awesome and he's 100% momma's boy.
I don't have any pictures of our escapades because I sent the camera with my man. On a side note: I told him to make sure not to lose the camera. It honestly is nothing fancy. A very small, very inexpensive digital camera. Kind of outdated too but it's all I have. His reply, "I won't lose it. I don't lose stuff." I gave him the look. (He loses everything.) He said, "I survived just fine for 2 years on my own." (Meaning his 2 year LDS Mission.) And guess what I said, "Yes but you had the Lord's help!" Good one huh? Obviously from the pictures above he didn't lose the camera. I'm so proud!
Our weekend started with a sleepover at Grandma Cindy's.
The following day we met my mom, sis and her kids to feed the ducks at the dam. Sooo cold and windy but the kids liked it. Moose threw entire slices of bread in at a time. Normally I wouldn't encourage it but the quicker we got rid of the bread the quicker we could leave. I'm a thinker. Next we went to pizza. Which was yum but not entirely enjoyable because Moose spilled his fruit punch right off the bat and insisted that he run around the restaurant while we tried to eat. I took him out to spank him but he didn't care. I'm convinced he enjoys pain.
The next day was General Conference which was excellent! We had plenty of goodies and set out the mini picnic table in the living room so the kids could color, listen and snack. They actually love conference. I think it's more about the treats and eating in the living room (which we don't do ever) but that's okay. You have to start somewhere.
Day 1 of spring break was a trip to the mall. The daughters choice not mine. They have this little play area with big squishy things to climb on like ice cream cones and soda. Kids thinks it's great! I think it's lame but being the great mom that I am we went to the mall. Did I mention that I stopped for a Diet Coke on the way so I'd be happy? I was happy until a stinky lady sat down right next to me. There were like 500 other spots to sit and she sat down RIGHT next to me. And I'm not trying to be rude but she smelled TERRIBLE!!! I don't do stinky smells and I was convinced that the BO smell was seeping into my delicious Diet Coke. At that point we decided to leave.
Day 2 & 3 we headed to Salt Lake to visit my brother, his wife and 2 adorable kids. The following day my SIL and I took the kids to Discovery Gateway. The kids loved it!
Day 4-McDonald's. Yep! The mall and then McDonald's all in 1 week. I'm living on the edge. I forgot to mention that it was snowing and freezing cold most the week so our options for activities were limited.
Day 5- Took the kids to see HOP. Super cute show!!!
Finally. The day that dad was coming home. I frantically worked and cleaned to make the house look good since I hadn't done any of that all week and then we headed to the airport to pick up the hubs. The kids were sooo happy and I was too. I guess it's true when they say that distance makes the heart grow fonder. Or is it stronger? I never can remember how those sayings go. The hubs had grown a goatee while he was away. The kids couldn't get over it. (He rarely has facial hair because he can't in his profession.) They kept asking him why he had "pokies" aka whiskers and Moose was convinced that he could grow a mustache too.
So Spring Break came and went and we had fun but now I'm paying for it. The hubs came home with bronchitis. (Which he's convinced he picked up on the subway in N.Y. Again...can you feel his love for the place?) The Moose man started sounding croupy and had a rough couple of nights. I had 500 loads of laundry, an empty refrigerator and a 3 year old that dumps every possible toy out in the living room for the world to see and step on. Oh...and after he dumps them out he dumps out all the Easter eggs, gets out the pots and pans and spoons so he can drum like EB on HOP. (Seriously..take your kids to that movie. They will love it!) Right now we are both wearing Tupperware on our head for hats. I look fantastic!
Life is just busy and sometimes I feel like I can't keep my head above water. And then I wonder how all you working moms and mothers of more than 2 kids do it. You're amazing! And then I start to compare myself to you and feel like a loser. But then I read something on my friends blog here that really helped me. She likes to remind herself that she is usually comparing her worst to someone else's very best. Great advice and just what I needed to hear this week.
And another thought I keep coming back to when I get annoyed with the toys on the floor and the crustified snacks and sticky juice under the bar stools was a talk by our amazing prophet President Monson.
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."
Isn't that the best? Go here to read his entire talk. It's soooo good!
So like Dorie says on Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming." And that's what I'll do. I'll just keep trying to swim, doggy paddle or float so long as I'm keeping my head above water and "Finding Joy in the Journey."

3 comments:
Hi Tris!
Just wanted to stop by and thank you for your kind comment. I was so touched and appreciated it so much! Thanks.
You have a darling blog here and I just wanted you to know that sometimes I have to even add the backstoke to rest a bit while still moving right along.
And P.S. I have 'just' two kids also. I don't really like when people say 'just two'. They are two more people I am responsible for, two more mouths to feed, two more souls to worry about. Whether it's two, four or six...it adds the same burden on a mother's heart. So here's to TWO!
♥ april
I look forward to every one of your updates! I especially appreciated the quote by Pres. Monson, so perfect.
I just Adore President Monson, always have. He reminds me of my dad and yours!
Post a Comment